Open Coil Mattreses
Often alternatively called a ‘Bonnell Spring”, this system uses a continuous coiling of springs made from a single looped wire. These springs are fixed together and clipped to an exterior road edge which gives the mattress its shape and structure.
- Generally, a cheaper alternative to pocket springs.
- Perfect for spare rooms, rented accommodation or ‘quick fixes’.
- Lighter than pocket-sprung mattresses and therefore easier to turn.
- As the springs move as one unit, you’re more likely to disturb your partner in the night through movement.
- The wear on the unit is greater than on pocket springs and therefore is likely to caused ‘roll-together’ eventually.
- Generally accepted they have a shortest lifespan of all mattresses.